Thursday, November 4, 2010

Connection keep-alive timeouts for popular browsers

Recently I needed to know how long the popular browsers will keep an HTTP keep-alive connection before closing it. I was able to find documented values for IE and FireFox, but not other browsers. In fact I couldn't even find much in the way of anecdotes. So for the other browsers I decided to find out myself by testing against a Tomcat server configured to an hour-long keep-alive timeout. I then used each browser to make a single request and observed the TCP streams in Wireshark. Here are the results:

  • IE: 60 seconds (documentation)
  • FireFox: 300 seconds (documentation)
  • Chrome: 300 seconds (observed)
  • Safari: 30 seconds (observed)
  • Opera: 120 seconds (observed)

Note that for IE and FireFox these values are configurable by the user, and the developers behind the other browsers may change the timeout in future releases.

No comments:

Post a Comment